Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Hope from the doctor

Well, I had my follow-up appointment with the neurologist today to discuss all the testing I had last week.  There is hope .  My MRI on the spine showed no legions there, so that is a good thing.  The fluid from the lumbar puncture did show some inflammation, though, so we are waiting for one more test result to come in...I can't remember what it is.  She said for about 99% of people with MS, this test comes out positive, but it also comes out positive for about 10% of people with a viral/bacterial disorder that mimics MS as well.  She said the legions found on my brain are not in typical locations as with people with MS, so that's encouraging as well.  She said only one of the legions was showing symptoms, and to diagnose MS, there has to be more than 2.    Also, one of my blood tests came back with mild infammation, which would NOT happen with MS, but with a viral/bacterial disorder.  This disorder will give me symptoms every time I get a viral or bacterial infection, but is not progressively damaging like MS, so we are praying this is what I have instead.

The doctor told me if this test result we are waiting for comes back negative, we will just leave it alone .  If it comes back positive, they will start treating me as if I had MS for three months, and then get another MRI done to see if there are any new legions and another lumbar puncture to check the fluid again.  Even though it will not be 100% positive I would have MS, this treatment (injections) would not be harmful for such a short period of time.  And after 3 months, if it turns out I do have MS, we will have gotten started very early, which is good, and we can just continue treatment.  If it turns out it's not MS, well then we will discontinue treatment and discuss where we go from there, if necessary, and get on with life as normal.  Either way, praise God that He has placed me in such good hands; a doctor that I have already heard lots of praise about from those that work with her, one that will not get pushed around and who has gotten these tests pushed through so quickly so we can find out what's going on and get this thing nipped, and one who is straight to the point and makes sure we understand everything that is going on .

Even though it's still not a definite answer, this news has given me hope and will make this Thanksgiving a little more joyful.  This whole situation makes this Thanksgiving more meaningful, as it has really given me much to be thankful for in my life.  The Lord has blessed me in so many ways!

I hope you all have a wonderful and joyous Thanksgiving!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment