Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Friday, March 2, 2007

It's been awhile...

Yikes, it's been awhile since I've had time to sit down and blog.  I'm finally feeling better after a couple of months of different ailments.  The medication I'm taking for the MS weakens my immune system so that it will slow down it's attack on itself.  In the meantime, I have been catching anything that comes my way.  Since Christmas, I have had either a cold or upper-respiratory or some other infection.  Each time that happens, I get mock MS symptoms, most of all, FATIGUE.  And the neuro can't give me anything for that while I have an infection, because they don't want to weaken my immune system even more, or I can't fight the infection.  So it's kind of a catch-22.  Finally, I was healthy enough a couple of weeks ago to get a 3 day steroid pack for the MS stuff.  It worked wonderfully, except for the FATIGUE.  I wasn't even getting the basics done.  Finally I talked to my neuro about it, and she gave me Amantadine.  I've been on half-dose for 2 days, and so far, it's working beautifully.  Although, I have 5 more days to make sure no side effects pop up, then I can go to full dose.

So, yeah, my routine has definitely not been kept up the way I would like to have done it.  But, I decided to simplify a little.  Now, everyday, I want to at least keep up on dishes and laundry, keep things picked up in general, spot-sweep floors, and spot-clean bathrooms.  I'm assigning a different section of the house for each day of the week:

Monday-front entrance, hallway, and dining room
Tuesday-kitchen (my favorite!)
Wednesday-bathrooms and one other room (which could be laundry room, one of the kids' rooms, the guest room, or part of the basement)
Thursday-master bedroom
Friday-living room

Whatever needs getting done in a room, it will be done on it's assigned day, whether it be de-cluttering, deep cleaning, dusting, vacuuming, or even a decorating fix.  I have to be very diligent with this, because even today, I got the living room all done, and wanted to move on to other rooms.  When I do this, I burn out, so I made sure the basics were done everywhere else, and just enjoyed being in my nice, shiny living room!

Wow, I even made my first real dinner in a long time (one that wasn't thrown together with a lot of convenience foods and last-minute decisions because I hadn't thought about it all day) of oven-fried chicken, mashed potatoes & gravy, veggies, and pickled beets.  I even made a simple dessert of black cherry jell-o and whipped cream to boot!

It feels so good to finally feel like things are getting back under control on the homefront.  We have been keeping up on school the whole time, as that is high on my priority list.  We are almost 20 days in to first grade with Vincent, and he is doing so well!  And we are both having so much fun with the curriculum!  For now we are doing Mon-Sat as that pace will get us done in time for fall, so we can start second grade then.

Before you fall asleep reading my novel, I will close for now.  LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment