Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Sunday, October 28, 2007

God give me strength and patience...

But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.
Luke 8:15

And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
Romans 5:3-4

On Sundays after church, we almost always go to my parents' house for lunch.  Today, we went to Chuckie Cheese to celebrate my nephew's birthday.  Afterwards, we went back to my parents' for cake and presents.  Shortly before we left there, Vincent snapped, and his behavior went downhill.  This happens when he is overstimmulated by things such as are found at Chukie Cheese and by eating too much sugar and Red 40, which I'm sure was in the cake frosting.  By the time we got home, he was having a total behavior meltdown.

Sure, I know he's probably tired and he ate things that make him react badly through his behavior, but this just shouldn't be an excuse.  It has shown me that there are still things I need to work on with him...and myself.  I try very hard not to show how troubled my heart is when he acts this way, as I'm sure he'd get some satisfaction about knowing he had control over this.  But even though over the last couple of years I have managed to really improve on keeping my cool when trials like this arise, I'm sure he still senses something is amiss.  These tantrums and meltdowns of his used to come way more frequently, and I know that a big reason they are so rare now is because I have really been working on my own attitude (well, okay, the Lord has been working on it!).  But when they do happen, they just totally throw me off, especially since he's been so good lately!  And there wasn't even a trigger that I could see...he was running out the door, and I called out to him to please hold it for me and his little brother since my hands were full.  He started back as if he were going to do it, then stopped and suddenly he got that defiant "grin" on his face and he ran away from the door, laughing like it was the funniest thing in the world to be so inconsiderate.  The ride home was even worse.  He and his brother are both supposed to be taking naps.  I know Andrew is sleeping, but Vincent is not, even though I know he is extremely tired.  He knows he will be up there until he does sleep.  It may be a rough rest-of-the-day, but I know the Lord will get me through.  By the grace of God, I will not only LOOK patient and strong, but I will BE patient and strong.  He has given me a wonderful training opportunity here, a blessing in disguise.

We watched "Evan Almighty" last week.  There is a wonderful line in the movie that really hit home with me, and that I need to remember.  The guy who was playing God said something like, "When people pray for patience, does God give them patience, or does he give them OPPORTUNITIES to be patient?"  And he went on with a few more similar scenarios, but this one really sticks out to me.  God loves to give things to His children, but I believe that His favorite way to do this is by giving them opportunities to grow.  This wonderful boy of mine has been strong-willed since he was born, and I just KNOW that God has wonderful plans for him.  If dh and I are to raise our children up in the way they should go, we need these trials, these opportunities, if we are to be strengthened.  Even in the midst of this little storm right now, I will praise the Lord!  Because as long as I've got God on my side and I'm handling it in the way He would have me do it, only good can come out of it...we will be a better family than we were before this happened.

I'm also thankful to the Lord for this little bit of quiet time.  I have also noticed that I am getting more opportunities to sort of regroup and remember what I need to do.  It's almost as if God has hit the pause button for a bit so He can give me a hug of encouragement, to tell me to take a deep breath and that I'm doing great and to keep it up, don't lose hope, maybe give me a little pep-talk through prayer and His word.  Then I am strengthened.  With Him, all things are possible, and I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.  The Lord alone gives me what I need to get through the fire, praising and glorifying Him through it all!  Okay, Lord, I am ready, You are my Strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment