Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Mexican recipes

I thought I’d post the recipes we have tried from Mexico that we liked…well, actually, we have liked all of them so far!
The first thing we had this week was Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder (click link for recipe).  This was an instant hit with myself and hubby.  I don’t think it really knocked Vincent’s socks off, but he ate it anyways…he’s not really a big soup person.   And Andrew (aka Moose), in typical Andrew-fashion, took a few bites and said "All done!"  I’m not really sure how that kid is continuing to gain weight.
The same night we had the Corn Chowder, I was browsing some of my favorite blogs, and saw a recipe for enchiladas posted by Pioneer Woman.  They looked really yummy, and not too difficult, so I said, "We’re having those tomorrow!" and we did.  These were a huge hit with *everyone.*  That recipe is definitely going into the family cookbook!
I had some leftover meat mixture and sauce from the enchiladas, so I mixed those together with some shredded cheese.  For the next day’s meal, I cooked up some pinto beans and some rice.  We used the leftover enchilada meat and sauce mixture with those to make our own burritos.
Last night, I made Chicken Lime Soft Tacos, and those were another hit!  For desert, I made Mexican Wedding Cakes (which we make for Christmas every year, anyways, but it was fun!)  Leftovers are practically non-existent in the house this week, and those that are here, don’t stick around very long.  I am so pleased with how this has been going!
Here’s a recipe we had for breakfast yesterday (very yummy!).
Chilaquilles
6 small corn tortillas
1 small onion, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped (I left this out, though, not too many bell pepper fans here)
6 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper (I only used 1/2 tsp)
2 T vegetable oil
1.  Stack tortillas and use a pizza cutter to cut them into bite-sized pieces. 
2.  Break all the eggs into a bowl and add the salt and pepper.  Use a fork or whisk to beat the eggs until they are frothy.  Set aside.
3.  Put half the oil into a frying pan and put on stove on medium heat.  When oil is hot, add the onions and tortillas.  Cook and stir until both are slightly browned.  Add the remaining oil and raise the temp to med-high.  When the oil is hot, add the peppers.  Wait a minute and add the tomatoes.
4.  Stir and cook until the veggies are soft and the tortillas are light golden brown and crispy.  Add the egg mixture and continue stirring until the eggs are cooked.  Serve right away.
Tonight I plan on making Tortilla Soup (will post the recipe later if it turns out good).  Next week, I am planning on plain old beef tacos, beef carnitas, King Ranch Chicken Casserole, Jamaican Jerk Chicken, and Pelau (from Trinidad and Tobago).  I also want to make Mexican Hot Chocolate, Guacamole, Pico de Gallo, and Tres Leches Cake.
I love to cook, and this is so fun, learning new recipes!  This will be an interesting school year, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment