Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Monday, May 11, 2009

Menu Plan Monday--Simplify, simplify, simplify!

My menus are going to be dramatically simplified, hopefully from here on out. A couple of different factors have influenced this. 1) I'm trying to cut down on our energy bill. And, 2) I'm trying to cut down my time spent in the kitchen. Having the daily menus for every meal is great, but it seems since I started doing them regularly, I'm spending way more time in the kitchen than I should. Don't get me wrong, I *love* spending time in the kitchen! But, between meal preps, actually eating the meal, and cleanup, it's cutting into my other housework, homeschool, and family time more than I like it to (yes, even with the kids helping!).

So, I've made a decision that all week, we will have only one choice for breakfast and one choice for lunch (plus the option for leftovers, if needed). Dinners will be planned as usual, but I am going to try to use my crockpot as much as I can. If I do have to turn the oven on, I want to be prepared to make several things at once.

So, this week's breakfasts will be cereal and yogurt. Lunches will be PB&J's and soup.

Dinners:
Monday-Crockpot rosemary chicken, rice, and green beans.
Tuesday-Crescent roll-wrapped hot dogs, chips, raw carrots and cukes. Since I have to turn on the oven, I will also make an artichoke spinach ring and plain crescent rolls for leftovers.
Wednesday-Crockpot chicken and wild rice (with leftover chicken from Monday), crescent rolls from Tuesday, and veggies.
Thursday-we will be trying to eat as many leftovers up as we can, because...
Friday-we are going camping! We keep our meals as simple as possible here, since most of the time, we're using the fire. Eggs or pancakes for breakfast, sandwiches and chips for lunch, burgers or hot dogs with baked beans and chips for dinner. Friday morning, we'll stop and get breakfast on the road somewhere. It's a tradition. ;)

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment