Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

MS Diet: Yogurt

Since rice milk was a pretty easy transition, I've decided to move onto yogurt.  This one was bit more tough, since I LOVE yogurt (don't want to give it up completely!), and I needed to find something with neither dairy NOR soy.  Yikes.

After searching (LOTS of searching), I finally landed at a local co-op, where they have...get this...coconut milk yogurt!  Well, that certainly sounded good.  So, of course, you know I had to go right down and buy some.  ;)  Wow, it's definitely more expensive than regular yogurt, at $2.45 per 6-ounce container.  But, I did have a $1.00 off coupon, and I figured if I kept it down to a few a week, that would fend off my yogurt cravings.  Here's the yogurt I bought:  So Delicious

The texture was a little different than dairy yogurt...more like the full fat version with a VERY slightly grainy texture.  The taste was just awesome!  So far, I've tried vanilla, in which you can definitely taste the yummy coconutiness (is that a word?  I love making up words!) of it all.  The only other flavors this store has is mango (which I also bought) and plain.  Perhaps later on, I'll try and get them to stock a few more flavors. ;)

So, there's two of my major dairy items replaced.  :)  Next I'll be on a cheese quest, which, besides ice cream, will complete the most obvious forms of dairy.  After that, I'm going to have to dig a little deeper and start learning what mystery words mean on food lablels.  Fun stuff to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment