Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Basic Pancakes: Dairy and Sugar Free

I wanted pancakes this morning and almost made the mistake of using a mix, with the intentions of just replacing the milk with coconut milk beverage.  Then I smacked my forehead as I looked at the ingredient list...Duh!  It was a BUTTERMILK pancake mix.  That was not going to work, so I got out my cookbook and looked up a pancake recipe.  I adapted it to make it dairy and sugar free.  Granted, it's not gluten free, but that can easily be fixed by replacing the flour with a gluten-free flour, such as white rice flour or almond flour.

Here's my version.  They turned out great!

1 cup all -purpose flour
1 tablespoon agave nectar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
1 cup coconut milk beverage (NOT canned coconut milk, but such as is found here)
2 tablespoons olive oil

1.  In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Make a well in the center of dry mixture and set aside.
2.  In another medium mixing bowl combine the egg, coconut milk, agave nectar, and olive oil.  Add mixture all at once to the dry mixture.  Stir just until moistened (batter will be lumpy).
3.  For standard-size pancakes, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet.  Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown, turning to second sides when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry.  Serve warm

Now, instead of butter, I spread a little coconut oil on mine.  Also, make sure you watch any other toppings you want to use, to make sure they are dairy-free.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment