Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Monday, May 2, 2011

Becoming a Proverbs 31 Woman Part 5

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16

There are many things I see in this verse.  First, the word considereth.  It doesn't say that she bought a field, it says she considered, and THEN bought a field.  This shows wisdom and careful judgment, especially in financial matters.  It shows that she did not make snap decisions...she wanted to make sure she was getting her money's worth.

How easy is it these days to take for granted the hard-earned dollar?  It seems that recently, many people are tightening their belts in the financial department...the economy sure isn't what it was a few years ago.  Yet, we are still for the most part, a throw-away society, as well as a society in debt.  Foreclosures and credit card debt are at an all-time high, yet people continue to buy what they cannot afford.  For some, the thought never crosses their mind to go without because they don't have the cash.  Then the bills come.  Then the collectors start calling, who are then made out to be the bad guys because they are trying to get someone to pay a debt they agreed to pay when they signed the credit card slip!  I won't play Miss Perfect here.  Yes we do have some debt.  But, we are paying it.  WE accrued it, it is OUR responsibility to pay it!  No one else's!  It's getting harder and harder to find people out there who are willing to take responsibility for their actions.

Anyway, I got off on a tangent I hadn't meant to, but apparently I needed to rant a little.  :)  I'm stepping off my soapbox (for now!) and getting on with the subject at hand.

The point is, we all need to show wisdom and discretion when it comes to finances.  Here in our home, hubby is almost completely in charge of finances.  Not because he's the husband, but because that's his "thing," and it's most certainly not mine.  :)  Now, that does not mean I have no affect on the finances.  I'm in charge of all the shopping in our home, among other things that can have an effect on how efficiently (or inefficiently) hubby's hard-earned money is going out the door.  Am I making wise choices at the grocery store?  Am I making *healthy* choices at the grocery store?  If I'm buying junk food, even though it's "cheap," I don't consider that a very efficient use of money.  Am I making sure we're not wasting things around the home that cost money?  Water, electricity, gas?  Am I making good use of my *hands* (there it is again!)?  Attempting to fix broken things before throwing them out and deciding we need new?  Am I being careful in my de-cluttering, making sure I'm not getting rid of anything that hubby may need/want later?  (Don't ask me how I know about that one!)  To put all of this more simply, am I considering any and all financial ramifications to my household for the actions I take (or sometimes, don't take)?

The next words in that verse that stick out to me tie in with what I mentioned above, but really deserve a separate look, too.  Back in verse 13 we talked about working with your hands, and now we have a reference to planting a vineyard.  This, too, ties in to being efficient with the finances.  Using your hands, and using your skills or acquiring new ones can save money, too.  In this verse it talks specifically of gardening, basically.  By nature, I am not a green thumb, although I am a wannabe.  :)  If you have the capabilities of growing your own food, even if it's just a few pots on your deck, give it a try!  It's a very satisfying feeling (not to mention economical) to feed your family something you grew yourself, or even together!

So remember, consider, spend wisely, and learn to use those hands!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment