Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Thursday, February 14, 2013

No Sugar Days 1 & 2

Yesterday was the first day of my journey with no refined sugars.  It started out pretty well, as I expected. The first day of something is always exciting, right?  Although, between my "saying good-bye" to some foods on Tuesday, and only 5 hours of sleep on Tuesday night, it was a tired start.  Mentally, though, I stayed with it and was excited to get going.  After lunch and during the kids' quiet time, I was really dragging and decided to take a nap.  I woke up still very tired and with a bad headache.  I could tell it was my MS acting up, as it started in the back of my head and had an "electrical" quality.  I took some Aleve, but the ache only proceeded to get worse.  Brain fog set in, and for some reason I had 5 bouts of hiccups between the time I got up from my nap until the time I went to bed.  There's obviously no science to back this up, but my theory is that my body was trying to manipulate me into eating a spoonful of sugar to get rid of those hiccups.  ;-)  I was really surprised that I was feeling crummy on the very first day.  I figured it would take a few days before my body realized what was going on.  I think it just goes to show how addicted I am.  A Day 1 highlight?  My oldest decided that he was going to join me and give up sugar, too.  So I'm feeling pretty good about the positive impact my own fast is already having on others in my family.

This morning, Day 2, I did not want to get out of bed.  Hubby let me sleep in a little later than usual, but he woke me up before he left for work, because the kids needed to get up half an hour later.  So, I've basically been in zombie mode all morning.  This fatigue competes fiercely with the MS fatigue I get at times.  It's almost lunch time as I type this, so I will be able to get a nap in soon.  ;-)  I've had absolutely no cravings for the food itself so far, although when I am so tired, I do miss the convenience of not having to think something out, checking the ingredients for sugar, finding sugar, and having to come up with something else before I'm finally able to eat.  So planning is ESSENTIAL in this.  At least now, with my oldest joining me, it will be easier to push myself to do it.  He's relying on me to make sure we're BOTH eating what we're supposed to!

My intention in recording this is not for you all to feel sorry for me, but so that I will have a real, honest record of this journey.  It doesn't look very fun now (and trust me when I say, it's not FEELING very fun!), but I am looking ahead to when I will feel fantastic, and I can't wait to record those days as well!  I do appreciate any prayers you can offer, both for me and my son to get through these first days and weeks.  My number one hope in this, even above getting healthier, is that we will learn to just fully lean on and rely on Him, Who provides all things and all comfort, and that He will be glorified.

No comments:

Post a Comment