Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Monday, February 25, 2013

Stuffed Bell Peppers

First, I have to apologize for a lack of photos lately.  Our camera is temporarily out of order, and for some reason, when I try to send an email with a photo from my iPhone, it won't go through.  Hopefully, our regular camera will be operational again soon!

Second, I've been wanting to make stuffed peppers for the last two weeks.  I've looked around online (and, yes, even on Pinterest!) for recipes, and I didn't quite have the ingredients for what I found.  So, I decided to improvise and make my own!  These have been tried by the family and devoured, so it's even kid approved.  ;-)  With twelve pepper halves, this is a pretty big recipe, so adjust as needed.  All three of my boys LOVE bell peppers, so this amount will not have a problem sticking around too long.

6 bell peppers, any or all colors!
Olive oil
20 ounces ground turkey
1/2 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons taco seasoning, or to taste (I used between 2-3 tablespoons)
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can sweet corn, drained
1 generous handful of Mexican Blend shredded cheese

Heat oven to 375F degrees.

Cut bell peppers length-wise in half and take out the seeds.  Thoroughly wash the peppers and lay them, cut side up, in two 13 x 9 glass pans.

Heat a swirl of oil in a large skillet, then add the turkey and onion and cook until browned.  Turn off heat.  Add taco seasoning and blend well.  Then add the rest of the ingredients, mixing well.

Scoop ground turkey mixture into each bell pepper half to fill it. (I did have some leftover filling that we will use for burritos for lunch tomorrow.)  Top pans with foil and bake in 375F oven for 40 minutes.

We topped ours with salsa and plain Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream).  This is a meal in itself, but of course, you can always serve with a salad or whatever tickles your fancy.  The younger boys wanted bread and butter with theirs, so that's what they had!  :-)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment