Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Lisa's Homemaking Corner

Saturday, April 5, 2014

My Father's World 1850-Modern Times Week One

This past week was the first week in a new school year for us.  I now have a seventh-grader, a second-grader and a Kindergartener.  This year, we are using 1850 to Modern Times from My Father's World.

We started each day, of course, with The Pledge of Allegiance.  Then we sing the hymn that we're learning, which is currently "What a Friend We Have in Jesus." This is the video we've been using.  I LOVE the sound!



Next, I work with my Kindergartener on any activities he has for the unit he's currently working on, which is N-n-Nest: God takes good care of me.
This week, Isaac learned about animal homes, particularly birds and their nests.  We studied all kinds of different ways birds make their homes, and in seeing what good care mama and daddy birds take in making sure they have a safe, warm nest and food for their babies, we realized how much more so God takes care of His children.  We also made rice crispy treat nests and filled them with candy eggs and those famous marshmallow chickies.  :-)
After spelling, handwriting practice, and English lessons for the older two, we learned and memorized the states along the northern and southern borders of the United States.  We also prayed for our country and it's Executive Branch.  We sang "The Star-Spangled Banner" and "If My People," which is based on 2 Chronicles 7:14:

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.


In science, Andrew began learning about atoms and started his science notebook.
We learned about chain reactions when we added vinegar to heated milk, as well as when we whipped egg whites into foam, added sugar, and baked up some yummy meringues.  :-)  Vincent studied the history of science and conducted a few experiments of his own.
We learned about different densities of solids and liquids.  In the jar above are three different liquid layers.  Corn syrup, water and oil.  We dropped in a cork, an ice cube, a grape, and a rock.


We also learned about how a reaction between vinegar and baking soda made a gas that filled up a balloon.

At the beginning of the week, we enjoyed a dinner from Colonial times of ham with cherry sauce, corn chowder, with apple crisp for dessert.

We started our new math and reading activities, and added learning Spanish to the mix.  We also started Andrew's read-aloud (which Isaac has also been listening in on), "Farmer Boy," by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  I loved that book when I read it to Vincent when HE was in second grade, and I'm so excited to be sharing it with my other boys as well.

Finally, on the last day of the week, we were supposed to go on a nature walk, taking clipboards of blank paper and colored pencils to draw something that catches our eye.  Well, the night before and throughout the morning, we got about six inches of snow.  So, rather than trudging through the snow and leaving our paper white (which Vincent joked we should do, since that's all we would be able to see anyway), we looked on Netflix and found a movie about the sun.  The boys paused when they saw something they wanted to draw, and I filed those pictures in their nature notebooks.

All in all, a wonderful first week, and we're all excited about the second.  Which, we're starting today, since hubby is working, and we try to follow his work schedule with school as closely as we can.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. What module is the science project of the densities and the balloon? It looks like first? (I know you've just started, so I'm assuming so.) I'm trying to see if Apologia Physical would be redundant for us after Explor. Educ. and we have already done this in EE. Thanks! Annaz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the first module in General Science.

      Delete